Saturday 7 December 2019

#Me too!!

I was barely 6 or 7 when a guy I played with used the opportunity while playing hide and seek to rub himself against me in the dark!!! I never realized what had happened but never again have I felt safe in the dark!!

I was around 12 when a guy tried barging into a public toilet behind me.. I never understood why he ran or why people gathered but I know I was shaking and scared.. So scarred that I still don't go to a public toilet most of the time!!

I was barely 15 when a person who was my dad's friend, whose daughter is couple years younger to me touched me inappropriately when we almost were drowning during 26/07 floods.. I've never seen that man since then!!

I was 17 when a man took out his man part n rubbed it on me in a moving bus and I was too stunned to speak.. 

I was 19 when i was asked out for a night by someone older than my dad just because I was at a bus stop at 9 pm after class.. And since then I'm never at such places without a company..

I was 23, dressed as a married woman with all the accessories that shows my marital status and someone had the audacity to grope me and gesture me things!! And I could only just check on myself whether I was revealing something that made him do it!!

I was 25 with a baby in my arms and someone still touches me inappropriately in a crowd..

I have been groped.. I have been looked at lewdly.. I've been asked out by men on vehicles as if calling a call girl.. And I've been trained to check on myself rather than reacting.. I've been asked to stay indoors rather than being a victim.. I've been asked to look away than instigate.. I've been trained to use dupatta, bag and umbrella to make a small little "keep safe distance" arena around me!! 

I am 28, a mom, an extrovert and a fearless woman.. And I still have that 6 year old still being on a perpetual alert mode watching out for possible attacks!! And until the daughters of today doesn't have to carry a pepper spray or keep vigil, we aren't safe yet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Those “Heavy” Thoughts

While travelling the 14km one way ride to n from work on a daily basis, I seldom see women riders..It’s almost always women pillions.. And t...